Dear Andrew,
I was in several of your math classes about 10 years ago. During the time I spent in your classes I learned to appreciate math, but I also learned a lot about science as well. The applications you covered in your classes inspired me to study chemical engineering in university and I've found an enjoyable place to work after graduation. I haven't just found a place to work, but you also helped me learn to enjoy learning. My experience outside of the classroom has not stopped my learning but has enhanced it because of the ways that you connected math to the outside world and provoked a sense of curiosity and a desire to engage in mathematical thinking - even just for fun on occasion. I'm writing this letter to show my appreciation for the way you taught your lessons and I hope that you can continue to engage with your students in a similar way throughout your career.
From,
Inspired Student #1
Dear Andrew,
I was less than thrilled with your math lessons throughout the classes you taught me during high school. Your emphasis on individual and self motivated learning was not helpful when I was struggling with difficult concepts. I think what I needed most was the support and guidance of my peers and I wish that you had found a way to integrate that into your lessons. I would encourage you to find ways to help all learners in your classroom and to accommodate all learning styles and needs as it is so important for developing curiosity and engagement in a subject. After high school I've gone on to do business at university and the classes that I've taken here have lead to me to write this letter as I don't feel I was adequately equipped for this kind of learning. I hope you can learn from my experience and use it help your students succeed in more areas in the future.
From,
Dejected Student #1
Reflection as TC just starting a Teaching Career
I think the biggest worry that I have at the beginning of my teaching career is developing the ability to reach and engage with all students in my classrooms. I think it's something that I will really have to work on - developing assignments, lesson plans and assessment that is fair and reflects the diverse set of interests that are guaranteed to be in any classroom. Students should be able to have something that they can invest in, in any class, otherwise it will become yet another monotonous lesson that they have to attend. The same applies to students who need to express their understanding in different ways. I will have to be aware that some students will prefer group projects or in-class activities over traditional tests or quizzes. There are also pedagogical benefits for using a variety of assessment methods so that is something I will have to invest in.
Thanks for this thoughtful commentary, Andrew! You're right about the importance of trying to reach all the students in our classes -- including those who may not learn exactly as we did. This can be challenging at times, but it is our responsibility as teachers.
ReplyDelete