Saturday, November 13, 2021

'Flow': Nov. 10th

I have experienced flow in certain situations, mostly during self-directed, self-motivated activities. I find it difficult to experience flow when someone is forcing me to do an activity (such as at school) or when the environment is not ideal (frequent interruptions and group activities). The times I've experienced flow are when I am doing creative writing, math, playing sports I enjoy, photography, and knitting. It is prompted by self-motivation, interest, challenge and the feeling of improvement or progress. 

In secondary math classes, I think that is a tricky environment to have people experience flow. A couple of the key ingredients like interest and a good environment are very difficult to achieve in a high school classroom. Interest is not the same as engagement and I believe that interest is much harder to create than engagement. Some students may be able to achieve flow without interest, but I can't. Environment is another difficult one because every student has different needs and it can be nigh on impossible to meet all those needs, especially considering the freedom that most students are afforded in a high school (or even university setting). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blogpost Reflection EDCP 342

This class was a really interesting dive into the curricular aspects of BC education while also covering lots of interesting activities and ...